If you dig around the SDL mailing list, you'll find some discussion on 'SDLScrap'. It was meant to be a cross-platform clipboard demo. I modified it so there was native Mac/Cocoa support, and improved the Windows code so it went through the well-known types so it could interact with common applications that understood text and images. I never could figure out the X11 support though and it is buggy.

There's no Lua binding, but it shouldn't be hard to roll it yourself. Even though it uses SDL, if you just want text, you probably could spend a little time and gut all the SDL stuff.

-Eric