Just a quick note to the luafilesystem team re building
under Rocks 4.3 running on Windows. I'm getting the
latest luafilesystem 1.4.0-1 from the repository, building
it locally, and installing it.

I'm assuming Visual Studio Express 2005 is the assumed
build environment for luafilesystem under Windows

On a clean Windows 2000 machine I did a clean install of
Visual Studio Express 2005 and then Rocks 4.3

Next, I started with the install of luafilesystem.

luarocks install luafilesystem

The source is retrieved well, but the build failed for a
number of reasons, mainly to do with how Rocks sets up
environment variables.

I always leave my environment as clean as possible and run a
batch file to set a locally scoped environment for different
types of development.

Here are the changes I needed to make to the luarocks.bat file
to get the luafilesystem to compile and link. Note that without
the extra environment vars the compiler would sputter and complain
about how the nice portable lfs source was non-compliant with
Microsoft's strict security checks :-)

@ECHO OFF
SETLOCAL
SET
LUA_PATH=C:\LuaRocks\0.4.3\lua\?.lua;C:\LuaRocks\0.4.3\lua\?\init.lua;%LUA_PATH%

SET VC8_PATH=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8
SET INCLUDE=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\include
SET LIB=%VC8_PATH%\VC\lib;
SET LIBPATH=%VC8_PATH%\VC\lib;
SET CL= /D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE /D_CRT_NONSTDC_NO_DEPRECATE
SET PATH=C:\LuaRocks\0.4.3\;%PATH%;%VC8_PATH%\VC\bin;%VC8_PATH%\Common7\IDE;
"lua5.1" "C:\LuaRocks\0.4.3\luarocks.lua" %*
ENDLOCAL

I also had to make a copy of the lua5.1.dll in

c:\lua5.1\lua5.1.dll

Because that seems to be where the luafilesystem makefile wants it to
be, and even if I had set the LUA_PATHLIB before running make it's not
respected.

Ralph

PS: Is this the right spot to report these issues?