There's a fair chance of it working, depends on how close we have to
imitate GDB to fool the tool. Emacs is not difficult to fool.  A
useful starting point is to make a pure GDB wrapper (if luagdb is
given a single non-lua target, it just passes GDB through) that prints
out what arguments the tool normally passes to GDB.

In fact, I don't use Emacs anymore because my personal command buffers
were getting stressed ;)  But excellent technology for the early 90s.
SciTE on the other hand, looks and feels like a modern editor.

steve d.