Using metatables is in fact how I'm currently circumventing this. I
find the manual misleading when it says all values are acceptable
except nil when Lua will raise an error if lua_isnumnan() is true (a
simple note about the macro in lua_isnumnan() in luaconf.h would be
sufficient I think, along with mentioning what it is by default).

--
-Patrick Donnelly

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing
to do and always a clever thing to say."

-Will Durant