On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 12:37 PM, David Given <dg@cowlark.com> wrote:
[...]

Has anyone ever tried running a infinite-monkeys test on Lua bytecode?
That is, continuously generate garbage input, submit it to the loader,
and log cases where it fails erroneously? Infinite-monkey tests are
quite easy to write and surprisingly good at picking up validation errors.

Also known as "fuzz" testing, as far as I know. I've run across a fuzzer released by Google that might be useful for this task, if anyone wants to give it a go. It's apparently got a little more intelligence than a basic fuzz tester:

http://code.google.com/p/bunny-the-fuzzer/wiki/BunnyDoc