I've faced this in luaSub; the solution being to produce a string describing the "fingerprint" of the table. Using sort to make sure they are identical, even if string keys are used.

-----
-- str= table_id(tbl)
--
-- Returns a unique ID for the assert template table; subsequent calls must
-- give the exact same string.

    -- Collect IDs for each key
    --
    for k,v in pairs(t) do
        local vt= type(v)

        elseif vt=="function" then
-- tostring(func) gives "function: 0xNNNNN"; the "function: " is -- unnecessary for us but it does not really matter (except for -- the cached memory strings taking up some bytes). Remove it anyways.
            --
            s= string.gsub( tostring(v), "function: ", "", 1 )
        else

    table.sort( sort )

    return table.concat( sort, "," )
end