While a lucene binding/implementation would be a great project for
SoC, i'm not sure it would be accepted:

From: http://code.google.com/soc/2008/faqs.html#0.1_org_eligible:
Mentor organizations must be organizations or individuals running an
active and viable open source or free software project whose
applications are approved by Google's Open Source Programs
Office....... Please see our Terms of Service for additional
stipulations and requirements.

Perhaps it would be viable if it where under the umbrella of (say) the
kepler project.