Mike Pall wrote:
The traversal order stays the same as long as t is not modified
inbetween. But this is specific to the current implementation of
the Lua VM. The GC doesn't modify tables (except weak tables).

If you want to rely on that (since you embed a particular Lua
version, anyway) -- fine. But don't complain, if it breaks with a
future version or a different VM.

Thanks, you've given me all the information I need to reach a decision. I'll ponder it... but I think I'll probably avoid building a minefield I could step on in the future :-)

  Enrico