John Hind wrote:
> [...]
>
> If this is controversial, could it maybe be considered as a patch,
> compile time, or C API switch so it could be experimented with prior
> to a decision on final adoption? However, unless I've missed
> something, I cannot see any serious downside with this solution,
> except of course for migration issues.

This is not a new idea. I think you will find patch that do this in the
mailing list archive. In the same archive you will also find plenty of
topics [1][2] explaining why local by default is a worse idea than
global by default.

[1]
http://lua-users.org/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=local+by+default&idxname=l
ua-l&max=20&result=normal&sort=score