I must agree with Miles, lua-gtk is a marvelous project, and Wolfgang
is very helpful. Building it is a bit of a mission but I got it going
eventually!  He has released binaries for both Linux and Windows
(mingw).

It's totally possible to put a higher-level interface on top. Here's an example:

require 'gtkx'

function test_dialog()
    res = gtkx.data_dialog {
        title = "Test Data Dialog",
        {"First parameter","alpha",1.0},
        {"Second parameter","beta",0.0,gtkx.range(0,1)},
        {"Name of Patient","name",'bill',gtkx.non_blank},
        {"Gender","gender",{'male','female'}},
        {"Town","town",{'alphaville','dogsburg','frodostadt'},gtkx.non_blank},
        {"File","file","download.txt",gtkx.file_for_reading},
        {"Interested","interested",true},
    }
    print('result was',res,alpha,beta,name,gender,town,file,interested)
end

beta = 0.5

test_dialog()

This puts up a nice default dialog for modifying these variables.

Code (as always) available on request!

steve d.