Indeed, I'm aware of the incompatibility with Windows here.  I prefer
to avoid building extra shared libs where possible, but it seems in
this case it's not.  The offending symbol is

static const char * Matrix_udata::name

It seems that data symbols don't export as well as text symbols for
whatever reason.  It would be really nice to know why.  I had a hell
of a time exporting data symbols from dlls on windows but was lucky
enough to see how to do it a few days before in the OpenEXR code.
Thanks for the suggestions.  I was actually in the process of building
a shared Framework.

best,
wes