I was under the impression that there was still disagreement on the
GPL and linking, with a good chance that the FSF interpretation is
wishful thinking. A good analogy was that linking is like references
in a literary work. But this is off-topic. :-)

Anyway, C/Invoke does not seem to be actively maintained, I got it to
compile but its tests crash on OSX. I tried to fix the problem but
couldn't figure out the c/invoke internals. In fact that was what
pushed me to write Alien.

Retargeting the callout part to use libffi is trivial, but libffi does
not implement callbacks yet. I can write the callback code for x86,
it's hard but doable, but I have no experience with other platforms.

--
Fabio Mascarenhas