Hi all -

I'm writing an C++ IRC client which uses Lua for user scripts, and thinking about using Lua for message parsing - I've mocked up a parser and it makes the code very easy to deal with. Now, I'm aware that premature optimization is bad, and that IRC operations are essentially user-input bound, which is slow - but can anyone see any performance pitfalls with having possibly 3 to 6 C-to-Lua calls per message received?

It'd be something like:
* One call for parsing
* One to three calls or so to fetch parsed message pieces as needed (keeps code simple)
* Possibly an additional call for user scripting

Anything I should watch out for?

Thanks,

Evan