On Feb 3, 2008 2:36 AM, Eric Tetz <erictetz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2008 11:16 PM, Brandon Van Every <bvanevery@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Not to depreciate what projects like Premake actually
> > accomplish, but these are tiny projects that will never go
> > the commercial distance.
>
> Lua is a tiny project used in multi-billion dollar commercial products...

It is not, however, a one man project, and it is 15 years old.  It has
been supported by a university throughout that time; that's the
business model.  When looking at a project like CMake, it's important
to look at how much code is already there, how long the project has
already been at it (7 years), what the business model is, and what the
people running the project are actually like.  Kitware is getting
things done.  They're the most responsive open source developers I've
yet worked with.  The CMake community is larger and more dynamic than
most build system communities.  One guy, starting from scratch, has a
lot to compete against.  It's not just the BSD code that's valuable,
it's the team and the community that's churning out the BSD code
improvements that's valuable.

> When it comes to software engineering, and software engineers, quality > quantity. :)

But lone guys who think they're smarter than everyone else often
overestimate what they're personally capable of implementing, and
mistakenly believe their problems are unique so they have to NIH them.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every