First of all, please disregard Polarinas response. It was apparently a
joke about you writing Lua in caps, which is wrong, since it's not an
acronym.The mailing list is generally not this hostile!

Second of all I am not familiar with freopen but from reading
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/000095399/functions/freopen.html and
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908775/xsh/fclose.html it seems
your solution should work.

I suggest simply testing it, both in your actual project and for some
carefully constructed test cases if you're still uncertain!