> Can anyone give me any hints as to what *might* cause this crash?  Any
> suggestions or clues will be helpful.  It seems at first glance that
> there is a table with a nil key, but I don't know how that could
> possibly come into existence in the first place.

Perhaps you have two copies of the Lua core linked into your app?
If you so, you many be trying to free a pointer called dummynode.
Are you using dynamically loaded C libraries? If so, do *not* link those
with the Lua core: link Lua statically into you app and export the Lua
API functions from the linked app.