 > I would put the light userdata into registry, pointing to the real one.
 >
 > 	LUA_REGISTRYINDEX[ light_ud ] = real_ud
 >
 > Once you don't need a certain light userdata any more, its registry
 > entry should be cleared.

How do I know?  It sounds as if light userdata aren't visible to the
garbage collector.   The last thing I want to do is create an API
which requires manual memory management.  I'd be thrown out of my guild :-)

It sounds like I will have to stick with full userdata.  A pity, but
it can't be helped.

Norman