Another technique is to spell check the query against a dictionary.
The common algorithm for spellchecking is called "Levenshtein
distance" and is fairly easy to implement.

Or, you could do a Lua binding on an an off-the-shelf search library
that already does indexing, stemming, spelling correction, synonym
expansion etc.  Xapian comes to mind.  I imagine that many other Lua
projects could benefit from a Xapian binding.  I know I would use it
in my wiki.

  - yuri

--
Yuri Takhteyev