Hi,

Maybe there are some practical examples ...?

there are some examples of what can be achieved with a macro system, although it's not  LuaMacro, here:
http://metalua.blogspot.com

I'm not sure how many of these examples are practically doable with LuaMacro, though.

Notice that writing a good macro extension is intrinsically complex and time consuming, so in many cases, it would make economic sense to reuse an existing extension, but not to write it from scratch.

apart from [...] making [code] more readable?

Well, readability is the main factor influencing maintainability, which itself is the main determinant of a code base's total cost of ownership, so that would be more than enough of a reason for me :) Unfortunately, it's all too easy to hurt readability instead of improving it, through distasteful usage of macros.

-- Fabien.