Package: lua5.1
Version: 5.1.2-4
Severity: normal

I just got this rather unhappy result:

: nr@homedog 10445 ; label-by-hand -udir /home/nr/tmp/tt2 *
lua5.1: stack overflow (too many arguments to script)

It seems to me that the Lua interpreter should accept as many
arguments as the local operating system is willing to provide.  This
number is fairly fuzzy (see http://tinyurl.com/nn8yd for a good
discussion of the issues), but the current default of 2048 is
unreasonably small for a stock Debian system.  ARG_MAX is 131072 on
this system, so supposing we assume each argument is an 8.3 pathname
with a trailing null, even leaving room for some environment this is
space for about ten thousand arguments.  I suggest that when Lua is
built for Debian that line 445 of luaconf.h be changed so that
LUAI_MAXCSTACK is more in that range.

Norman

-- System Information:
Debian Release: lenny/sid
  APT prefers testing
  APT policy: (500, 'testing'), (500, 'stable'), (50, 'unstable')
Architecture: i386 (i686)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.22-3-k7 (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=C, LC_CTYPE=C (charmap=ANSI_X3.4-1968)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash

Versions of packages lua5.1 depends on:
ii  libc6                         2.7-3      GNU C Library: Shared libraries
ii  libreadline5                  5.2-3      GNU readline and history libraries

lua5.1 recommends no packages.

-- no debconf information