Duck wrote:

I have an opportunity to introduce Lua in my workplace.
My goal is to replace an existing scripting language.
The existing language is proprietary, was developed
in-house, has limited functionality, is hard to maintain
and extend, and is only maintained by its inventor.

[But as the boss] says, the existing language is working
(for now) and we have several developers who are trained
to use it. These developers would have to learn Lua.

Since Lua is so small and easy to embed, you could even start by simply treating Lua as _an extension language for your scripting language_.

This is a remarkably insightful and useful answer. Thank you!