> Lpeg to read a bunch of numbers seems like serious overkill. Perhaps I
> still don't *get* Lpeg, perhaps I don't think grammar-driven
> programming is a good clear way to do most things.

One of the main points of Lpeg is that you can use grammars, but you
don't have to. For instance, to simply match a list of integers
separated by spaces you can use the following code:

   require 're'
   line = "-123 453 2100"
   print(re.match(line, "( [ \t]* {[+-]? [0-9]+} )*"))
      --> -123     453     2100

(The curly brackets build a capture; parentheses only group things.)

-- Roberto