> >> This appears a few times in Lua sources.
> >> But its per definition 1.
> >
> >And every C compiler in the world will optimise it as such at compile
> >time.  Just like expressions like strlen("a literal string") are
> >optimised during compile time.
>
> I know.  But when seeing this I always get suspicious if the original
> author really wanted to write CHAR_BIT/8.

sizeof(char) is always 1, by definition:

  When applied to an operand that has type char, unsigned char, or signed
  char, (or a qualified version thereof) the result is 1.

CHAR_BIT does not need to be 8 (8 is its smaller value in ANSI C). Unless
you are manipulating bits, you seldom need CHAR_BIT.

-- Roberto