Reuben Thomas wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean about lua_pcall. Where should I be using it that I don't already?

Various function calls used can raise a Lua error (i.e. longjump). For example, lua_getglobal could raise if an __index metamethod on _G raised. lua_pushstring could conceivably raise on memory alloc failure. These possibilities are documented via the [-o, +p, x] designations in the reference manual.

As to what should be done about this, I guess it depends, and it might be ok if this is intended as part of the interface. Personally, I like the C API but would be interested in one of the higher-level wrapper if it doesn't get in the way or sacrifice flexibility/correctness.