Sounds good, esp #4 would be cleaner. A little concerned that #2 & #3 could make sharing code a bit more complex.

Some sort of optional threading library for multi-core support would be quite nice I'd say. One of my crazy ideas is to work with SQLite (public domain) and Lua, and SQLite already has quite a bit of OS-specific stuff, like threading and file lock handling. If those routines could be common between the two, it would be quite interesting in keeping a nice light embeddable platform. Not to say SQLite would require Lua or Lua would require SQLite. Since I don't actually know much about the internals, any thoughts? Perhaps to grande of an idea to actually become part of the core of two different tools...

What about binary serialization and/or saving a table as Lua code as other optional libraries?

- nathan.