"Grellier, Thierry" <t-grellier@ti.com> wrote:

> How the risk of a Lua fork increases with the community size, given the
> slow release pace and even slower features introduction pace?

I assume the danger of a "formal" fork is pretty low. There is a small
team (aka 'The Enforcers') that *decides* what Lua is (and is not) and
we all know who and where those guys are.

I think that one of the strengths of Lua (and one of the points that
attracted me) is exactly the maturity and stability of the language that
directly flows from this "benevolent dictatorship".

I feel that many changes that have been discussed here, though
undoubtedly worthwhile for individual projects, would not make Lua a
better language. A language such as Lua is a tool to produce solutions,
but not a perfect solution in itself. It can't ever be.

Lua is (almost) unique among the languages I have used because it's much
like a fat piece of clay: you can do whatever you want with it. That's a
much more valuable feature to me than a fast release cycle.

There are a few basic things I'd like to see in a future version but
most of them are either stuff others (perhaps in embedded environments)
wouldn't necessarily appreciate or things I can easily do on my own.

All IMHO and YMMV.

--
cheers  thomasl

web : http://thomaslauer.com/start