Mike Pall wrote:
> Jerome Vuarand wrote:
>>>    2. yield() across iterators (for x in my_iter() do ...).
>>
>> 2 would be really nice, but iirc (correct me if that's wrong) it's
>> not supported in pure Lua. That means that people using that feature
>> (directly or indirectly) would be forced to use a JIT-ed Lua.
>
> Coco is there to stay as a patchset for the standard Lua core, even
> if I don't use it in LuaJIT 2.x anymore.

I can't remove portability concerns out of my mind (probably because I'm
currently working on console games), and afaik Coco is not supported on
current game consoles.

But I think I'll give it a try on x64 PC.

> And there's a small patch to add just feature #2 to standard Lua:
>   http://lua-users.org/wiki/YieldableForLoops

Thanks for the link. I also just discovered the Resumable VM patch [1].

This leads me to another question, to the authors (I hope they're
reading that thread). As stated in a previous list message [2], is that
patch still considered for inclusion in 5.2 ? Just by itself I think it
would be a good reason to release a 5.2. It's been around for a while
(in fact I just discovered it because it was presented/discussed on the
list prior to my adoption of Lua), so maybe some users could give some
feedback to help decide if it would be a worth evolution for Lua.

[1] http://lua-users.org/wiki/ResumableVmPatch