Enrico Colombini wrote:

Can I ask which platform does not have realloc() ?

It's a proprietary ARM architecture.

Enrico,

I wrote a special version of malloc()/realloc()/free() for the
ARM architecture (in C) that is for embedded (not Linux) systems.

It requires a fixed (non-extendable and contiguous) area of
memory for the malloc() memory pool with a maximum size of
256K and has an overhead of 8 bytes per allocation.

It also has the advantage of traversable free and in-use memory
lists which is useful for finding out if you have fragmentation...

The Lua memory manager reports on how much memory it thinks
it is using but of course, it cannot report on heap fragmantation.

Cheers, Ralph