Isn't fixed point code just using int32/64, and making input/output of numbers seem they're fractional? Like 1000 -> 1.0 or just 1.

As to your question, if you're in charge of all the modules, and they are a limited number, you'd be just fine defining LUA_NUMBER. Just grep all occurences of 'tonumber', 'lua_Number' etc. and check they'll work with your code.

I would simply #define LUA_NUMBER int (or long) and change the number input/output functions. Including the ones reading in Lua tokens, so 1 in the source would be 1000 (or so) in the int/long.

To Daniel: if Enrico is ready to live without some math features, the Lua code should work "just right" in most cases.

- ok
+ ok
* needs adjustment (/ fixed one)
/ needs adjustment (* fixed one, before the divide)
^, pow needs adjustment (may be complicated)
log, ldexp, log10, exp :(
min, max ok
*cos*, *sin*, *tan* :(
deg,rad doable
random, randomseed doable
ceil, floor doable
abs ok
sqrt doable
%, mod, modf doable

That gives the rough picture. Personally, I would do fixed only if I intend to live without a math lib altogether (there goes math.sqrt); if the device is _that_ small. And I think this is how the possible LNUM_FIXED mode should be.

Leaving us:

- + * / ^ % min max deg rad ceil floor abs

Is that enough?  :)

-asko