Last year when I was using Lua on an ARM mobile phone (no FPU) I had
much the same decision to make. In the end I ended up defining
LUA_NUMBER as int and making a user data module for fixed point
operations precisely because I was afraid of how much work would be
involved in making LUA_NUMBER a fixed point type.

If you are compiling as C++ then perhaps operator overloading would
allow much of the lua code to work as is, but you would need to
implement fixed point versions of many of the maths library functions.