steve donovan wrote:
I'm contemplating a similar step, for embedded Gumstix.  Obviously
32bit integer-based Lua is going to be faster, but roughly how much
faster?  I would like to do _some_ floating point arithmetic...

Asko Kauppi has a patch to Lua that allows it to use a combination of number representations depending on what's appropriate at the time. Look for LNUM here:

http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaPowerPatches

That way you get integer speed when doing integer arithmetic, and it'll automatically fall back on floats when needed, but only when needed. The best of both worlds, really.

--
David Given
dg@cowlark.com