Steve Heller wrote:

IOW, wasn't it written incrementally? write a little, test it, write some more...

I did write it incrementally, and it worked fine until I had these
weird errors crop up. In fact, it still works fine on the other
machines on which it is installed.

Ummm, that's a data point that was missing in previous posts.

Now we're looking at what might be a hardware error, or it might be
a software error that only manifests itself on certain hardware...

Groucho Marx might ask you to not run the software on the machine that
is giving you the weird errors :-)

Ralph