First it would be helpful to see the different kinds of errors you are
having. Why I mentioned problems with pairs() was that you are
probably doing something like changing/adding/removing indexes from
the table while iterating through it.This can cause very odd behavior
and can easily result in some indexes becoming nil. As you read
earlier, the order pairs() goes through a table is not defined, so you
will easily see the program act differently each time it is run. I get
the feeling your problem lies here, simply because of the randomness
of the errors (where they take place in your code).

--
-Patrick Donnelly

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing
to do and always a clever thing to say."

-Will Durant