A cool application of this is to use it as a fancy C preprocessor. I've got some stuff, intended for similar usage, in my quick&dirty metalua hacks repository. The next step is to exploit C and Lua good integration, to freely mix runtime Lua, compile-time Lua and C sources. Optionally, throw in AST representation of C in the Lua compile-time code, and you get... metaclua? :)