Duck wrote:
[...]
> At the monent, the ANSI-based IO lib uses FILE* objects for files, and
> uses fseek() to navigate around in them. But fseek() takes a 'long'
> offset, not an 'off_t' one, so unless your longs are (or are forced to)
> 64 bits throughout, file sizes are limited to 31 bits.

ANSI C has fsetpos/fgetpos, which use opaque fpos_t objects to store
positions, but unfortunately they're not very useful as you can't turn an
fpos_t into a integer or back again. And I don't know whether fseeko/ftello
are in the new ANSI standard.

[...]
> Go west from, say, California for a few thousand kilometres. See how
> your 8-bit chars burst at the seams as you travel :-)

Well, I'm about 75% of the way through writing a Unicode-aware word processor,
from scratch, in almost pure Lua, using standard Lua strings, and they're
doing just fine, thanks very much!

The thing is, switching to 16-bit or 32-bit characters doesn't help. Really.
It looks like it does, but it doesn't. The problem is that in *any*
Unicode-based encoding, you can't necessarily express a character as a single
value. Even the concept 'character' is extraordinarily fuzzy and ill-defined.

A concrete example: surrogates. Surrogates allow UTF-16 to represent a Unicode
code point that won't fit in a 16-bit word. The code point in question is
represented as two UTF-16 values. If your application's not aware that these
two values represent the *same* code point, all kinds of nasty things can
happen, including mangling your data (if you split the string between those
two values, you'll end up with two invalid UTF-16 strings and will have lost
the character in question).

Even UCS-4 doesn't help --- combining characters suffer from much the same
problem.

Half the Windows and Java programs out there break in this way, simply because
they use UTF-16 throughout, which makes people believe this sort of thing
isn't a problem.

If you actually want to handle Unicode *properly*, you need to be prepared to
handle variable-length characters in your strings... which means you might as
well do everything in UTF-8, which is nicely compatible to ASCII and compact
to boot. (Lua is perfectly happy with UTF-8.)

(However, it *would* be nice to have a drop-in Lua regex replacement that
understood UTF-8; but I appreciate that it's a huge step up in complexity.)

[...]
> So just as Lua proudly provides integers which exceed 32 bits of
> precision on all sorts of platform (by standardising on 'double' as a
> number type), it ought these days to have a standardised alternative
> which can exceed 64 bits of precision.

This is easy: simply redefine lua_Number to be whatever type you like. It's
only double by default. Redefining it as long double should get you your 64
bits of precision.

- --
┌── dg@cowlark.com ─── http://www.cowlark.com ───────────────────
│
│ "There does not now, nor will there ever, exist a programming language in
│ which it is the least bit hard to write bad programs." --- Flon's Axiom