In fact, the standard Lua distribution also has exception handling when compiled with C++. The way that is done has a couple of problems, however.

First, it also compiles Lua with C++ linkage, which means that all the extensions also need to be compiled with C++ (since, otherwise, they don't see the Lua API functions). But many extensions simply won't compile with C++ at all. Second, it disables the setjmp/ longjmp mechanism, which means that existing extensions that use that would have to be hacked.

So, I think the cleanest overall solution for getting exception handling into Lua would be to change Lua itself so that when Lua gets compiled with C++, it catches exceptions, but its API functions would be surrounded by extern "C", and it continues to also provide the setjmp/longjmp mechanism.

However, patching Lua is not an option for us; we're creating an open source project, and we don't want to get into the business of maintaining a Lua fork. If we need to patch anything, it can only be the interface generator. Furthermore, any interface generator not designed to cope with exceptions (i.e., most of them) may need to be hacked anyway, even if Lua itself has exception handling, because there may need to be cleanup in the interface code (deallocation of temporaries, etc.).

So, I think it would be great if the base Lua distribution were updated to handle exceptions better. Basically, what would need to be done is:

* When compiled with C++, there need to be 'extern "C"' wrapped around all API function declarations. * When compiled with C++, there should be try...catch blocks wrapped around all calls to user functions. * By default, both exception mechanisms should be enabled (for compatibility), but users should be able to disable them with - DLUA_NO_EXCEPTIONS and -DLUA_NO_SETJMP

This would maintain compatibility with the existing C distribution and it would ensure that, no matter what exceptions get thrown, Lua remains in a consistent state.

Then, interface generators that cope with C++ need to be reviewed for whether they are exception-safe, and they can provide additional facilities to deal with exceptions in a more intelligent way, such as translating specific exceptions into specific Lua errors, etc.

BTW, note that many existing libraries use exception hierarchies that are not based on std::exception, so just catching std::exception is not sufficient. The std::exception class is simply the base class for exceptions in the standard library.

Cheers,
Thomas.