We're having the same problem, and I asked about this a few days ago; unfortunately, there has been no official answer from the Lua, tolua, or tolua++ maintainers yet.

Unless we hear about anybody else working on an official solution soon, we're probably going to start modifying tolua++ (there are some other features we need as well).  I believe all tolua++ needs is to have a couple of hooks added so that the exception handlers can then be implemented as a loadable tolua++ extension (we're using tolua++ because of its improved garbage collection).

Cheers,
Thomas.