actually this does cause a bit of confusion.

We've got an interface that allows people to manipulate data in a DNS packet which is housed in a C++ object.

since DNS packets can have numerous records in them, there needs to be a way to index them.

Doing this from Lua then becomes confusing, since accessing the C++ object from Lua uses 0-based indexing, but accessing any other normal array/table in lua uses 1-based indexing. I'm not looking forward to explaining that to users.

Our policy control system has a script-based option, which calls a Lua function which returns a bool. The user can fill out the body of the function, so we have the situation like

function Filter(Request)
   if (Request.Query[0].Name == "www.microsoft.com") then
      Request.Query[0].Name = "www.wingate.com";
      return true;
   end
   return false;
end

Since we have __index metamethod on the table represented as "Request", we get a callback with a name and offset which we can resolve.

I guess we could just subtract 1 from the index number passed up and use "native" lua indexing ....

I do agree that when you are specifying a for loop with a sequence defined as "1,N" then it makes a lot more sense to have "1,N" rather than "0,N-1".

It's more a function of how the syntax of the for loop works which then passes over to table indexing.

John Belmonte wrote:
Jerome Vuarand wrote:
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/transcriptions/EWD08xx/EWD831.html
In this paper he says that 0-based indexing is better if you use
convention 'a' (loops of the form 'for (i=0; i<N; ++i)'). Lua uses
convention 'c' (loops of the form 'for (i=1; i<=N; ++i)', or in Lua 'for
i=1,N do'), so 1-based indexing is more suited to Lua.

That is a recursive argument.  Lua uses convention "c" because it has
1-based indexing.  The choice of index base drives how you specify
ranges.  No sane language or library would mix 1-based indexing with
half-open ranges, or 0-based indexing with closed ranges.

--John