Thanks Don.

I already see this project in my research, but the agonies to results pull me to the dark side of the source. I will redesign the plug-in to be a safer way to run scripts in client side. My intents doing this job is to have full Lua capabilities in client side, including database/file handling and all other Lua abilities. Like a signed applet can do. If not so, I like very much _javascript_. Well well… I will see that lather. Thanks 4 all.

Rafael

De: lua-bounces@bazar2.conectiva.com.br [mailto:lua-bounces@bazar2.conectiva.com.br] Em nome de Don Hopkins
Enviada
em: quarta-feira, 1 de agosto de 2007 13:00
Para: Lua list
Assunto: Re: RES: Lua Browser Plugin

The best way to integrate Lua with Firefox/Mozilla/xulrunner is via XPCOM, which is an open source cross platform version of COM.
There is a Lua COM library that would be a good starting point, but integrating a scripting language with XPCOM or COM is difficult work, bordering on rocket science.
The incredible Mark Hammond integrated COM and Python (the Python win32com module), and he also integrated XPCOM and Python (the mozilla pyxpcom extension).
The pyxpcom effort to integrate Python into Mozilla resulted in cleaning up the Mozilla code in ways that will make it easier to integrate Lua in the same way.

http://www.mozilla.org/catalog/architecture/xpcom/pyxpcom/

    -Don

Jeremy Darling wrote:

Well, first you need to follow the _javascript_ model and disable the io library completely.  This will at least show that you attempted to secure your module.  Try to find the other libraries that could cause a problem and disable them as well (in fact anything outside of the core lib shouldn't be active IMHO).  Then offer up the "Developer" version with things like the debug library enabled.  Finally, create a module yourself that will be surfaced that allows you to do things like document.write and document.location = bla bla bla.

As for OpenSource or not, the Mozilla JS engine is completely opensource and this has led to many security improvements over the years.  So OpenSource is a good option.

Personally, I think that approaching Mozilla, Opera, etc and asking what their feelings on the subject of yet another client side scripting language are.  After all, many have tried and failed in the past.  The one that seems to have survived is JS :)

--
Jeremy

"Help I suffer from the oxymoron Corporate Security."

On 8/1/07, Rafael - SosCpdTerra <soscpd@terra.com.br> wrote:

>Can the plugin download Lua code off the 'net and run it? Because if so,
>this
>is a huge security risk --- it's not so much as a security hole as a huge
>gaping abyss! And if it does so without asking the user first (every time),
>then it probably also counts as a back door...

        Exactly my point. Yes, that can be done so far, and I'm not
controlling that right now. I really do not do that thinking in a back door,
but... ;) like father, like sun... I think too in the follow: Who will
distribute this plug-in?