Like the other replies have already mentioned, there are currently two different approaches.
LuaJava is probably best if you intend to run Lua on a Javaplatform where you can run the jni layer.
It would work on desktop OS:es but not on mobile phones.
Kahlua and lua4j implements Lua VM.

I have personally searched around for a Lua VM in java before but found none so I made my own. It shall be very interesting to see the lua4j project. I hope it supports some of the features that Kahlua doesn't!

Jools, if you're not very far along, perhaps you want to take a look at my current progress?

/Kristofer