Yes I apologize for not providing the German string. The actual source of the problem was the German strings were using "%d$s" instead of "%s" in the unformatted strings, where d is a digit ("%%%d+%$s" as a lua pattern). I had to dig around, but I found that having a "%%%d+" inside a pattern without any captures (or the correct "index" capture) causes the error.

It would be more polite to provide a (minimal) sample that actually
shows the problem instead of making the list to do the guesswork.

--
Shmuel