On 28-Jun-07, at 12:43 AM, Gavin Kistner wrote:

Would you do:
  GOOD = "good"
  SIN = "sin"
  COS = "cos"
and use the 'constant' variable for assignments and comparisons? I realize the foolishness of that, but (even without a hack to holler if I read an undefined global) it somehow feels cleaner than just hardcoding the same literal strings in many places in the code.

Why is it different to hardcode a literal string than to hardcode the name of a literal string? Particularly since GOOD is just a shortcut for _G["GOOD"] :)