Personally, I've found Selene (http://luaforge.net/projects/sln/) to be promising in making a "Unicode version" of Lua. Most people end up customizing such in one way or the other, it is true that a Unicode enhanced (say, all text UTF-8) version of Lua would be tasty.

(Disclaimer: there are opinions, all of which can be found at the archives. This is mine. :)

-asko