On 15/05/2007, at 9:33 AM, Mark Edgar wrote:

This could be taken to be an error in PiL, since it disagrees with the
reference manual, which seems pretty clear on this:

"All classes %x described above may also be used as components in set.
All other characters in set represent themselves."

Ah I see the reference manual is clearer on this point. I did a quick look in my (hard copy) book for a treatment of regular expressions, but "regular expression" is not in the index. (I should have looked harder).

Thanks for the clarification.

- Nick