I have an application that requires full collision resistance, which is why I have implemented SHA-256.

The following article claims collision attacks on MD5 within a minute on consumer-grade (read: script-kiddie-grade) computers:

http://eprint.iacr.org/2006/105

I have not verified the claims, but I have no reason to doubt them. So my original claim was off, it now takes only seconds to perform a collision attack on MD5. This just does not give me the "warm fuzzies" about using MD5 in any new cryptographic application.