What would be nice for the 'Unix' side of things is a way to obtain the flags needed to build a library in a system-independent way, similar to 'curl-config' for 'libcurl'. 'lua-config' could print the flags needed to compile or link a C module, depending on the arguments passed. This would make it easy to write portable Makefiles for the non-Microsoft side.

'lua-config' could be a Lua script, it just needs to be standardized.

Python has a system that works well for all platforms, but it's quite a bit more complicated.