On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 06:45:02PM +0300, Asko Kauppi wrote:
> There already is a solution for this, namely token filters.

I don't want to have to learn a new child language when I use Lua in a
different place, depending on the little extensions in each case.  Adding +=
to my copy of Lua is not the same as += being added to Lua.

Lacking these operators isn't the end of the world.  In practice, it means
getting in the bad habit of using shorter variable names than I would
otherwise, some cumbersome copying and pasting of variable names, and
marginally less readable code--but as language warts go, it's small.  It
just seems like an odd omission from the language ...

--
Glenn Maynard