Hi Joe,
  Have a look at: http://www.lua.org/pil/16.3.html , suppose you have
an object, with a __index metatable (for methods), if that object has
a parent you can set as __index metatable of the current __index
metatable the parent table (it is much more easy that it sounds).
With that if a method is not located in the current metatable it will
take a look at the parent. If the parent has another parent the this
will work recursively, nice isn't it?

Cheers,
   Jose L.