FYI, and interested parties welcome to sign in on Lua Rocks developers list:

Edelleenlähetetty viesti alkaa:

Lähettäjä: Asko Kauppi <askok@dnainternet.net>
Päiväys: 23. maaliskuuta 2007 11:16.33 GMT+02:00
Aihe: [Luarocks-developers] BANG!  Start of work.

Hey, all Lua Rocks people.

The Lua Lanes package is now ready for OS X and Linux, and I'll go on making a proto of Lua Rocks for distributing it, and later all other packages too.

The design is strongly based on 'fink', including the package discription format. I know, we could have it as a Lua file itself, but... opinions are welcome. I don't think that is a major detail. Can be changed at the final yards.

The data contents is more important, here is my v.0.0.0.0.0.0.1 proto for a Lanes "rock" file (lanes.rock).

I plan to initially use 'wget' for fetching the packages, and not tie in LuaSocket in any way. This would, actually, allow even LuaSocket to be distributed as a Rock just as anything else. The implementation of Lua Rocks is intended to be 100% Lua only.

#
# lanes.rock
#
# Lua Rocks package file
#
# Bugs:
#
# Notes:
#   ...
#
# History:
#   AKa 22-Mar-2007: 0.1-1 Initial packaging, Lua Rocks still vaporware.
#

Package: lanes
Version: 0.1
Revision: 1
Depends:

    # http:...
Source-MD5: fd0371fc309c52291f1a8ec504f83efd

# ---
License: MIT/X11
Maintainer: Asko Kauppi <akauppi@gmail.com>

DescDetail: <<
Lua Lanes allows easy use of multiple threads within Lua programming. Any
function can be sent aside to be executed in parallel. No application side
locking is ever required.

Lua Lanes provides transparent parameter and return value passing between the
threads, and explicit inter-thread communications (receive/send) between the
parent and the child thread. Controlled cancellation of the child state is
also supported.

Lua Lanes does _not_ support N-to-N communications between separate threads.
Such capabilities can be added by a separate module, to which threads can
subscribe via 'require', as usual.
<<

# Common build instructions
#
Compile[all]: <<
lumikki manual.lxml > manual.html
<<

# Each supported environment has its build instructions here
#
# $@: target filename, as in Make
# $(mingw32_gcc): name of mingw compiler, either 'mingw32_gcc' or
#                 'i686-pc-mingw32_gcc'
# $(lua51_win32): path to where Win32 prebuilt binaries (.exe .dll) are +
#                 lua5.1 header files
#
Compile[OS X]: <<
cc -Wall -O2 -I/sw/include -L/sw/lib -llua.5.1 -bundle -o $@ \
    -DGLUA_LUA51 gluax.c lanes.c
<<

Compile[Linux]: <<
gcc -Wall -O2 -I/usr/include/lua5.1 -llua5.1 -fPIC -shared -D_GNU_SOURCE \
    -lpthread -o $@ -DGLUA_LUA51 gluax.c lanes.c
<<

Compile[MinGW]: <<
$(mingw32_gcc) -Wall -O2 -I$(lua51_win32) -L$(lua51_win32) -llua51 -shared \
    -o $@ -DGLUA_LUA51 gluax.c lanes.c
<<

DocFiles: <<
manual.html
<<

#DescPackaging: <<
#...descriptions about the packaging details - for maintaining the package...
#<<

#-- end --

- Asko