On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 12:30:16PM +0000, Andy Stark wrote:
> Lua list <lua@bazar2.conectiva.com.br> writes:
>
> >Sorry to ask, but why did did they call it a "postmortem"? The
> >first time I saw it I thought they gave up the project.
>
> It's quite common in British English to use the term
> "postmortem" to mean any kind of analysis of an event or project
> after it has finished. When used in this sense, it doesn't imply that the
> project "died" somehow. I would guess that Canadian usage is
> similar (PopCap is Canadian, I think).

I don't know it was more british/canadian then american, but then I'm
canadian :-)

>From WordNet (r) 2.0 [wn]:

  postmortem
       adj 1: occurring or done after death; "postmortem changes"; "a
              postmortem examination to determine cause of death";
              "postmortal wounds" [syn: {postmortal}] [ant: {antemortem}]
       2: after death or after an event; "a postmortem examination to
          determine the cause of death"; "the postmortem discussion
          of the President's TV address"
       n 1: discussion of an event after it has occurred
       2: an examination and dissection of a dead body to determine
          cause of death or the changes produced by disease [syn: {autopsy},
           {necropsy}, {PM}, {postmortem examination}]